Admission to the CDSE Program
The application deadline for the PhD program in economics at the CDSE is March 31, 2018 for the Fall 2018 intake. Applications can be submitted from November 2017, and there is an early admission on January 15, 2018. Applications from candidates who are not accepted in the early round will be reviewed again with all other applications after March 31, 2018.
We solely offer online application and applicants must submit their information and documents through our online application portal. Applications sent in via mail will not be considered.
Admission is based purely on academic performance and potential. Admitted students receive a monthly scholarship (1.200 €) and the CDSE commits to funding its students for five years (contingent on successful completion of the course phase and overall academic standing).
In principle, the prerequisite for admission to a doctoral center is a master’s degree in the respective field or equivalent. Applications from students with excellent Bachelor degrees are considered as well. Applicants from neighboring fields and quantitative fields (like mathematics or engineering) can be admitted if their background is judged to be sufficient.
The following information is required for an application:
- Personal data
- Letter of motivation: Please provide a statement explaining your current goals, career plans and reasons for being interested in the PhD program in Economics. Discuss your study plans and your fields of interest. Your statement should be in English and not exceed 500 words.
- Certificates and transcripts of grades: A transcript from each college or university is required. The degree certificate is not sufficient. The transcript should show courses, grades and degrees received, mentioning rank or distinction if applicable. A translation is required for any transcript in a language other than English or German. At this stage of the application process it is not necessary to notarize or apostil the translations. If you are accepted we need notarized translations. An apostil is not necessary. If you have not yet finished your current degree, please attach a preliminary grade report (again in English or German).
- GRE: All applicants must upload their General GRE's test taker's copy in the online application as well as send it via the testing service. We do not require or accept GRE subject tests. The GRE may not be substituted with the GMAT. GRE scores should not be older than two years. Ask the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to report your test scores using the following ETS code: 0933.
- Letters of recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required from faculty who are able to assess your academic ability and potential.
The following documents may be submitted:
- Writing sample: You should submit a writing sample in English or German, e.g., a paper you have written during your studies.
- Any supplementary information relevant to your application
Please also check our detailed list of all application requirements.
In order to make the application process as convenient as possible for you, we offer an online application portal, which is available from November 2016, on.
Apply here: online application portal