GESIS Summer School - application deadline extended to 15 April 2016
Scholarships for international participants available
Young social researchers worldwide! Are you interested in the latest theoretical and practical tools of survey-based research? 10 DAAD Summer School scholarships are available to join the 5th GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology. The summer school offers high quality training in state of the art techniques and methods of survey research. It aims to:
- give a broad overview of survey methods;
- equip participants with essential skills in the design, planning, execution, documentation and quality assurance of surveys;
- provide an opportunity to deeply engage with:
- different tasks of survey design and implementation (such as questionnaire design, sampling, nonresponse and fieldwork monitoring)
- different survey modes (such as personal interviews, web surveys, and mixed-mode)
- research designs involving surveys (such as mixed methods, factorial surveys, longitudinal surveys and cross-national surveys);
- provide participants with networking opportunities, a supportive social environment, and an exciting time in Cologne.
The Summer School program is now published and registration is open on the GESIS website.
Summer School Scholarships
Summer School participants who do not hold German citizenship and are either living outside of Germany or those who have been living in Germany for no more than 6 months can apply for one of ten available scholarships funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Participants registered only for a short course are not eligible to apply.
Scholarships are calculated on the basis of the following rates:
- Flat rate allowance for accommodation expenses of € 250 per week up to a maximum of € 750, i.e. for all three weeks of the summer school.
- Flat rate allowance for travel expenses depending on the country from which the participant travels to the Summer School.
- Course fees up to a maximum of € 500.
Scholarships will be transferred to the participant’s bank account upon successful participation in the Summer School. No money will be transferred before the Summer School.
Applications will be evaluated by the Center for Doctoral Studies in Social and Behavioral Sciences (CDSS) Selection and Admission Committee, University of Mannheim, based on academic and social criteria. To apply, please send the following documents:
- Cover letter explaining the importance of participating in the 5th GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology for your research work and your need for a scholarship.
- Up-to-date CV including a list of publications (if applicable)
- Certification of your current position/status (if applicable, e.g. matriculation certificate)
· Degree certificate of highest current academic degree held including transcript of records (if you haven’t obtained a relevant tertiary degree yet, include the transcript of records only).
- Reference letter testifying to the applicant's good standing, providing an assessment of the usefulness of the selected Summer School course(s) for the applicant's research work as well as the applicant's need for financial support.
The above mentioned documents must be sent as one PDF file to the CDSS (please cc email@example.com) by 15 April 2016. Applicants will be informed by the end of April.
If you apply for one of the scholarships, please simultaneously register with the online Summer School registration system to secure a place. Registration will only become binding once GESIS has received the participation fee. Please note that you will not receive the DAAD scholarship without having paid the fee.
Should you not be granted a scholarship, you can send a cancellation request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will receive full refund if you cancel up to 4 weeks before the course (see terms and conditions).
Please send all queries regarding your DAAD scholarship application and your travel subsidies only to the CDSS Manager and all those regarding content, schedule and organization of the GESIS Summer School to summerschool(at)gesis.org.