The Graduate School of Economic and Social Sciences is committed to funding doctoral students in their research activities. Studying at the GESS is free of tuition fees. Admitted students are guaranteed one to five years of financial support depending on your chosen program and based on overall academic performance. Furthermore, PhD students with children receive additional financial support.
Financial assistance/scholarships are subject to the existing provisions/guidelines of the funding body and Scholarship Program.
The GESS administers and provides an extensive range of scholarships (~15,000 €/year):
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - current DAAD GSSP call
- Fontana-Foundation (private donor)
- State of Baden-Wuerttemberg
- Matching funds (private donors)
- Completion scholarships
- Funding for research stays abroad for periods between 3 to 6 months
- Funding for scientific experiments
- Comprehensive travel support
- Best paper awards
We are happy to announce that the GESS is given the opportunity to nominate two international doctoral students per year in 2019 and 2020 who are currently enrolled at the GESS. The DAAD scholarships will be awarded within the framework of the DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Program (GSSP).
Initially, GSSP scholarships are granted for one year. On condition of positive evaluation of course work and a dissertation proposal, the scholarship can be extended for a period of up to three years.
The GSSP DAAD scholarship comprises:
- Monthly scholarship of 1200 EUR
- One-off travel allowance depending on the country of origin
- Combined health, accident and liability insurance
- Study and research allowance
- Rent and/or family allowance if applicable
GESS students in their first year with a proven record of academic excellence are encouraged to apply (two-step application procedure). Furthermore, the following criteria have to be met:
A. International candidates only
B. you have not lived in Germany for more than 15 months prior to November 2018
C. You received your Master’s degree no earlier than November 2012
To be considered for the scholarship year starting February 2019 eligible candidates must send the following documents (in a single PDF) to email@example.com:
- Letter of motivation
- MA degree transcripts
- Overview of your (past and current) research interests
- In case of past voluntary work or community service: description and proof
Application deadline: 15 October 2018
A GESS Selection committee will evaluate and rank applications and nominate appropriate candidates.
Nominees submit an online-application via the DAAD-portal.
Applicants must submit a completed application form (in German or English) with all supporting documents via the DAAD portal: https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal together with:
- Letter of motivation
- Bachelor and Master degree certificates including transcript of records for each year stating grades and grading system.
- English proficiency test (GRE, GMAT or TOEFL)
- List of publications
- Documents certifying completed practical work (internship etc.)
- For Chinese applicants: a certificate of the Academic Evaluation Center (Akademische Prüfstelle)
Select „Personal Funding“ and application form „Graduate School Scholarship Program 19“.
Certified copies of all translated documents must be submitted to DAAD only after an award letter has been received.