According to the regulations and procedures governing the doctoral dissertation to earn a doctoral degree in Business Administration at the University of Mannheim.
Promotionsordnung/Regulations for the Conferral of the Doctoral Degree in Business (2014)
Promotionsordnung/Regulations for the Conferral of the Doctoral Degree in Business (2010)
- German version (no English version available)
Step 1: Agreement with Supervisor
Students from Cohort 2014 on:
Together with your supervisor, please fill out the first and second page of the PhD Milestones. Do this twice and keep one of the documents. Send the other one to the Dean’s Office of the Business School, which will present it to the Doctoral Examination committee for acceptance.
Students from Cohort 2013 or older:
Together with your supervisor, please fill out the Supervision Agreement for the Doctoral Dissertation. Make copies and distribute them as advised on the document. Send the original to the Dean’s Office of the Business School, which will present it to the Doctoral Examination committee for acceptance.
Step 2: Requesting admission as a doctoral student (section 4-7 of the regulations)
Together with your PhD Milestones or your Supervision Agreement, please submit an admission request to the Dean of the Business School (informal). Please state your topic (working title) in your letter and hand in the following documents:
- CV (incl. place and date of birth, nationality, phone number, university e-mail)
- Certified copy of Graduate degree certificate
- Declaration of consent to data processing
The Dean’s Office of the Business School examines the request regarding the requirements for acceptance and sends out a confirmation of acceptance as a doctoral candidate. If you want to transfer to the new Regulations (2014), you can apply for a transfer in a letter to the Dean of the Business School.
Step 3: Write your thesis
Step 4: Register for the oral examination (section 9 of the regulations)
After you have successfully completed your thesis, please set a date for the defense of your dissertation with your supervisor and speak to the Dean’s Office regarding date, time and location. Submit a request to the Dean (informal) in good time before the intended oral examination and hand in the following:
- Registration form for examination
- One copy of your doctoral dissertation each to the Dean’s Office and your two evaluators. Also hand in one electronic version at the Dean’s Office.
- Declarations in lieu of oath and consent for the plagiarism check ("Eidesstattliche Versicherung”)
- Final transcript of the CDSB
After you have successfully applied for the doctoral examination, the Dean’s Office of the Business School will coordinate the following:
- Acceptance of the doctoral dissertation by the evaluators (section 9 subsection 3 and 4 of the Regulations)
- Public display (3 weeks, generally during the lecture period according to section 9 / 2 of the Regulations)
- Acceptance of the doctoral dissertation (if no one objects to it during the display period)
Step 5: Oral examination (section 11 of the regulations)
For the oral examination, the Dean’s Office of the Business School takes care of the following:
- Appoint group(s) of examiners
- Send invitations to examiners and candidates
- Preparation of examination forms and certificates
The examination will be hosted by at least two business administration examiners and, if applicable, one additional examiner. You will find all details regarding the oral examination in the Regulations.
Step 6: Request for printing permission of the doctoral dissertation (section 12 of the regulations)
Please submit a request to the Dean of the Business School regarding the printing permission of the doctoral dissertation. Together with the request, please hand in the title page of your dissertation (front and back) and a short CV that will be placed at the very back of your thesis. You can check out the details in the sample.
After having received your documents, the Dean's Office of the Business School will seek written consent of your evaluators. Once these have arrived, the Dean of the Business School will issue you a printing permission. You can then arrange printing and deliver your mandatory printed copies to the Dean's Office of the Business School. The different ways of publishing can be found in the download.
Step 7: After the printing
After delivering the mandatory copies, the Dean’s Office of the Business School will send you the official certificate as soon as it is available.
Dean's Office of the Business School of the University of Mannheim
Phone: +49 (0) 621 - 181 1456
Fax: +49 (0) 621 - 181 1471