"The CDSS provides me with an excellent working environment, including office space, administrative support and guaranteed funds, so that I can entirely focus on my research."
Anna-Sophie Kurella, CDSS


Obligation to Enroll According to the Act on Higher Education of the Land of Baden-Württemberg (LHG)

All doctoral candidates must enroll at the University of Mannheim.*

Please submit the following documents:

  • Completed enrollment application form.
  • Confirmation of admission at the GESS
  • Signed Milestones (doctoral advising agreement)
  • If applicable, copy of your current employment contract
  • Copy of your university entrance qualification i.e. secondary-school examination certificate e.g. 'Abitur', 'baccalaureate' etc. (only if you are not already enrolled at the University of Mannheim)
  • Copy of your degree certificates i.e. Bachelor and Master (only if you did not obtain the degree at the University of Mannheim)
  • ID card/passport (incl. visa)


Semester fees currently amount to €174.90 and must be paid after you have obtained a student ID number. Doctoral candidates pay no tuition fees. Transfer the fees stating your student ID and name as reference to the following bank account:

Universität Mannheim
Baden-Württembergische Bank / LBBW

IBAN: DE23600501010001379273

Subject: First Name, Last Name and „Neueinschreibung Herbstsemester 2019“

Information and submission of documents to

Johanna Fatokun
L 1, 1, Room 326
Phone 0621/181-1283
E-mail: johanna.fatokun(at)

Office hours:
Mon-Thu 09:00-11:00

*Doctoral candidates employed by the University of Mannheim on work contracts of 50% or more (based on a full time position and according to the Collective Agreement for Public Service Employees of the German Länder (TV-L)) have the possibility to choose whether to enroll or be exempted from enrollment.

  • If you would like to be exempted from enrollment, please contact Ms Johanna Fatokun to obtain form 'Exemption from obligation to enroll'. You must inform her about any changes to your work contract immediately.
  • If you would like to enroll, please submit the required documents and follow the procedure as set out above.