The CDSS grants an annual research and travel budget of 300€ (subject to change without prior notice) to each of its members. It can be used to finance research activities and, most importantly, used as travel support to renowned international conferences and summer schools.
In addition to the CDSS travel support, the University of Mannheim also offers a limited number of travel grants to international conferences, summer schools and research stays through funds of IDEUM - Internationalization of Doctoral Education @the University of Mannheim.
Rules for obtaining travel reimbursement
The following rules apply:
- To ensure eligibility for reimbursement, you should notify the CDSS of your planned activities in advance. Please write an informal e-mail to your Center Manager stating the conference/summer school etc. name, destination, travel dates, and a rough estimation of costs.
- All those on a work contract or who receive additional funding from the university, please hand in a Business Travel Authorization Form (Dienstreiseantrag) before traveling and a Travel Expense Report (Dienstreiseabrechnung) after your return in order to obtain reimbursement. Scholarship holders, please submit the GESS Travel Reimbursement Form along with supporting documentation post travel.
- Only second class plane/train tickets will be reimbursed.
- Taxi fares cannot be reimbursed.
- The CDSS pays no daily allowance.
- The CDSS reimbursement policy is based on documentation of reasonable and actual expenses for travel and accommodation, supported by original receipts, which must be submitted for all travel expenses including airline and rail, and hotels. Please make use of rebates and other reductions e.g. BahnCard if available.
- Your mentor/supervisor must approve your travel by either signing the travel authorization form or confirm briefly by e-mail for all those on a stipend.
- Reimbursement for operative research costs, like data collection or experiments needs prior approval by the Center Manager.