Call for Applications for the GESS Summer School on Empirical and Quantitative Methods
Are you a Master’s student in business studies, economics or social sciences and passionate about empirical research methods? Then join the GESS Summer School on Empirical and Quantitative Methods from October 14 to 18, 2019 at the University of Mannheim.
The GESS Summer School provides an exciting opportunity for Master’s students and excellent undergraduates to receive high quality training in the methodological approaches applied in the academic disciplines business studies, economics, and social sciences.
The Summer School will feature eight workshops taught by internationally recognized professors, three roundtables, and a rich accompanying program including opportunities to get to know the GESS and its doctoral programs. The venue is the university’s Graduate School of Economic and Social Sciences (GESS).
Students will participate in the following workshops:
- Empirical Accounting Research
- Econometrics of Financial Markets
- Empirical Taxation Research
- Organization and Innovation Research
- Perceptions of Political Scales
- Crafting Social Science Research
- Bayesian Statistics for Social Scientists
- Statistical Power Analysis: Theory and Practice
How to apply
To apply, please submit the following documents as one PDF file via email:
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- A letter of motivation of up to 500 words outlining your reasons for wishing to attend the Summer School. The statement should be in English.
- Certification of your current position/status (e.g., matriculation certificate)
- A transcript of records
- Non-native English speakers must provide a certificate of English language proficiency. Please submit either a TOEFL score (paper-based at 600, internet-based at 100) or an IELTS score with a minimum of an overall band score of 7.
Please submit your application via email to summerschool(at)gess.uni-mannheim.de
The closing date for applications is 12 p.m. (CET) on 30 April 2019. Successful applicants will be notified by mid-May. Applications will be evaluated by the Admission & Assessment Committee at the GESS, based on academic criteria.
Successful applicants will be provided with free accommodation and meals twice a day and will be reimbursed for their travel expenses.
Travel expenses are reimbursed according to the country-specific rates set by the DAAD upon successful participation in the Summer School (i.e., attendance of at least 80% of the course). Please note that no money will be transferred before the Summer School or in case the participant misses more than 20% of the course.
Upon completion of the summer school, all participants receive an official certificate of attendance.
For more information on the summer school, please click here.
If you have any questions, please contact the organizing team via email: summerschool(at)gess.uni-mannheim.de
We are looking forward to your application!